Thursday, June 30, 2011

Part 5; Someone’s at the Door


The doorbell rang as Ethan was winding down watching a late night show. Not wanting to wake up the majority of the household He answered it. It was Bebe. He wanted to tell her where to shove it. He wanted to yell at her.

Then he saw her face; tears ran freely down and mascara streaked down her cheeks. He wanted to hold her, demand who had upset her and just plain protect her.

She started sobbing and begged him to forgive her as he ushered her inside.

"What happened?" Of course he forgave her. How could he not? He'd do almost anything to see her smile.

She let out a shaky breath. "My father showed up as you were ordering the food. He was crazy rambling about blowing fish out of the tank inside and then I got him calmed down enough to get us outside and he asked why I was there. I told him I was meeting you and he went crazy. He started threatening and scaring me. I ran off. I don't care what happens to him anymore. I can't go back home. Can I stay here tonight?"

He hugged her and wished he could fix everything that was wrong with her family. "I need to ask dad, but I'm sure it'll be okay. You can take my bed and I'll sleep on the couch if he agrees."

Jack was outside playing on the kids slip and slide when Ethan went to find him.

"Cool by me," Jack said and gave Ethan a hug goodnight before heading in the house himself.

Ethan followed his dad back in the house "My room's at the very top. I'll find you something to wear unless you mind."

"Oh no no, I could really use a shower though. Please?" He laughed. Like he'd say no? 
"Sure let me find you something to wear and then you can take a shower in my bathroom. I have my own." Ethan had never had a girl in his room, well outside of family. He found an old tee shirt that Nikki had given him as a joke a few years ago and some old sweats. Handing them to Bebe he pointed to the door next to the stairs. "Everything you need is in there. I'll head downstairs as soon as I change."

~*~
Bebe hugged him, thankful that he was there for her. "Could you stay with me until I fall asleep? I don't want to be alone right now."

"Sure, I'll be here when you get out."
After changing he lay down and rested, his mind continued to wander towards the girl in the bathroom and how… 
The sound of one of the newborns crying was better then a dip in ice water. He wasn't ready for his own yet. Not to mention three.
But it didn't stop him from thinking of Bebe completely. She took a good half hour in the bathroom and he was beginning to wonder if she was okay when she finally emerged. 
She had thrown her hair into a loose bun and removed her make up but he still thought she was the prettiest girl he's ever seen. She walked slowly and hesitantly towards the bed. "If you want me to leave I will. I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

She gave a nervous laugh "No, please, it's just that I've never… Well I've never been in a bed with a boy."


"Me neither, but I promise to behave. I'll stay until you fall asleep." She climbed in bed next to him. 
"Thank you again for letting me crash here. I promise it won't become a habit. It's just that my dad… I can't believe what he said. What he implied."

"You're welcomed here anytime." Ethan said pulling her into a hug and kissing her. "I enjoy your company."
They cuddled there until she fell asleep in his arms. He watched her sleep for a bit, she was so peaceful. He needed to head downstairs, but couldn't pull away from her side. The more he was around her the more he wanted to be around her. 
Soon he passed out wondering about their future. He still hadn't asked her to the spring formal. 
A few hours later he woke only enough to climb under the covers making sure to stay on his side of the bed. In his sleep he murmured, "I think I love you."

1 comment: