Sunday, July 10, 2011

Part 8; Harts on Fire



Dorie didn't even notice Gus enter the bathroom as she talked to the man in the mirror. He was a wise man who could predict the future and she was going have a good year. That's what the man said as Gus turned and yelled at her. She turned and saw the room was crammed with stuff from her kitchen and their stereo and her precious guitar.

"What are you doing to Maxine and Benji?" She yelled at him as he ducked and covered his ears.

"You're all going up in flames. Then you'll be clean."

"What did you..." She turned to leave but the fridge was blocking the door and a giant red light was blinking. 
Then it exploded in her face. Her words were morphed into screams as she caught on fire. She had to get out; the voices were all telling her that. She was going to die here is she didn't escape. But how the door was covered in flames. Then one voice spoke to her.

"The window. Jump through the window. I'll protect you." So she did, she ran past Gus who stood there still as ice despite he was on fire and jumped out the window. The whole room exploded right behind her. Gus screams echoed through the yard. But the only voice she heard was the man's voice telling her what to do. "Run upstairs and jump in the shower?" Was running a good idea? Shouldn't she go to the pool or lake or ocean? There was water there. "No Theodora, go upstairs. Now!"

She did as the voice told her. Once the flames were out a cool mist surrounded her and the burning stopped. "Now go to your room, but lock the bathroom door first."

"Okay."

"Move the dresser and block the door. And the chair and bed against the other door."

"I can't."

"You can. Do it."

She did as the voice told her and felt a surge of strength rush through her as she moved the furniture. She was exhausted at the end of it. "I'm so sleepy."
"Lay down my love. I'll come for you later."

 
~*~
 
He appeared, dressed in black, and summoned her downstairs. "I want you to see that I have taken care of him. That he'll never hurt you again."

He summoned her to him and kissed her. "My love come with me. It's time."

"Are you going to take me to Gus?"

"Nay, you won't see him ever again. Now come with me." They were suddenly in her bed, in her room as it was before. He took her then and kissed her. "I will show you the world."

1 comment: